River water quality and ecosystem health depend on a natural shoreline.
Did You Know?
- A natural shoreline reduces erosion and provides habitat for diverse flora and fauna.
- It also filters polluting runoff and prevents toxic blue-green algae growth, making it safer for us to swim, fish, boat, and enjoy other activities.
- Municipal by-laws in Chelsea, La Pêche (chapter 19), and Cantley require a 15 m buffer zone of native vegetation be maintained, yet most of the shoreline lacks that important buffer. A 5 m wide cleared strip is allowed for river access.
- Private boat launches are not permitted because they allow rain runoff to flow directly into the river.
- A permit is required to install a dock.
- Boat wakes can travel over 150 m, damaging the sensitive clay shoreline along the narrow river. As a result of erosion from boat wakes, many waterfront residents have built unnatural rock, wood, and concrete retaining walls.
FUNCTIONS OF THE SHORELINE
So, why and how this shoreline zone is so important ? Here are the essential functions that a shoreline performs :
What We’re Doing
shoreline regeneration project
We are supporting a project to help private waterfront property owners regenerate their shorelines. To get advice and access native plants, shrugs and trees for your shoreline, contact email@example.com
What You Can Do
reduce impact on water quality
Waterfront residents can reduce negative impact on the water quality by managing run off, maintaining a good septic system, eliminating household toxins, building fauna friendly docks etc.
minimize boat wakes
Slow down when boating to reduce your wake.
maintain a shoreLine buffer
If you live on the water, maintain a 15 meter buffer zone of native vegetation along your shoreline and don’t use fertilizers or pesticides.
Shoreline Protection News
679 people, representing all types of river users, shared their voices to help create a vision of what the river could look like in 2030.
River Access In August of 2020, Friends of the Gatineau River provided its recommendations on motor boat management and the...
FOG Shoreline Protection Presentation to the Municipality of Chelsea Summary of Meeting See Presentation (Power Point)